Pages

5.11.2008

Fake Snicker's Squares



I finally made these - after staring at my book for 3 days straight, I got the courage to go to the grocery store (during move-out time in a small college town, us townies don't leave home for at least 4 days straight to avoid the crowds) and purchase everything that I needed.

Except for dulce de leche. I don't think anyone has heard of it here!

Snickery Squares
(Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours)

For the Crust:
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten

For the filling:
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp water
1 1/2 cups peanuts

(I completely skipped this, as I don't like caramelizing ANYTHING, so I just dumped the peanuts in the kind of ice cream topping that immediately hardens when touching a cooled surface. Easy enough.)

For the topping:
7 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Godiva chips)
1/2 stick butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Toss all the crust ingredients into food processor except for egg & butter. Pulse a few times, then add the butter, pulse 12 times. Add the egg and pulse until dough forms, take out just before it turns into a ball. Press into an 8x8 pan and back for 15 - 20 minutes.

Filling:

Caramelize the sugar & water. Put the peanuts in, caramelize then let cool. I just dumped them into a bottle of the hard caramely stuff and then topped with a little caramel sauce. Whatever - it tastes great!

Take the pan out of the oven with the crust. Break the peanuts into pieces, dump about 3/4 of them over the crust. Pour the dulce de leche (or in my case, caramel sauce) over the peanuts. I refrigerated for an hour - just to cool so I could spread the chocolate topping.

Topping:

Melt the butter & chocolate in microwave or a double boiler, whatever's easier for you. Pour over peanuts and then smooth - top with the rest of the caramelized peanuts.

Let refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. If you serve it hot, it'll just melt all over the place.


PSH

No comments: