Pages

10.17.2022

Construction Update

I'm currently typing away as I hear the roofers above me. It does not always sound great. It's scraping, banging, and yelling. And I saw them gathering up their supplies for nailing the new shingles down. OMG. I'm almost worried that I should be ducking for cover in the basement.

But to get right to it - here's a few photos of updates. There have been even more but I took videos to share as reels on Instagram (@pattymctatty) 


Windows are in. This room is prepped for insulation. It's going to be our catchall storage room - so for bikes, tires, wheels, garden stuff, fans, heaters, seasonal decor, etc... I can't wait until half the crap gets moved out of our current spaces right now and goes back to being dedicated storage for THAT ROOM. This is a huge deal in a late 1940s house because there's just so little storage space.


They left this open to the house for MAYBE three days - and while it was open, I could see into the future and it looked AMAZING. The house felt so much bigger and I could really see the future space. I think it's just awesome at the transformation that happened once the french doors were removed. It's now been covered by plastic sheeting to protect the rest of the house from all the construction dust. This upcoming week is drywall and holy crap, we're going to have to turn off the furnace so that it doesn't suck the dust into the rest of the house.

The new mudroom and dog wash area with the dog's tail. I AM SO EXCITED to finally have a dedicated mudroom. My plan is to have all the hooks and a few bins for winter gear. I can't decide if I want to do that in a large bench with shelving under the seat or if I'd like something else. Also, after talking to the HVAC person, the new vent is going to be where we keep our shoes and boots in the winter so they dry quickly and stay toasty warm before we need to go outside.


This is the new room - eventually maybe the new dining room once we redo the kitchen area but for now we're going to make it into a sitting area. The windows are smaller than I remember ordering but I still really like them - however - they're too tall for Phil to look out of so my plan is to put a couch under so he's not always jumping up and scratching my new windows. The new door is cheap enough where I don't think I'll care as much, and that's an easier upgrade in the future than getting and ordering new windows. I'm really excited that the window on the north side is taller and can be opened for getting a cross breeze and cooling off the house. 

Part of the problem from before was that the gazebo porch was like an oven - the sun shone and DAMN - it made our house so hot that the AC would kick on sometimes at 9:30am when it was only 65 degrees outside. Having this all enclosed, heated, cooled, and less windows that scream "I'M AN OVEN" should really help our utility bills and not only help those but also be more environmentally friendly. 


Onto the fun part! This is kind of a dark photo but you can sort of tell the colors I would like to use. I've switched it up just a little since this photo was taken. The dark blue will be the larger room. The Sea Salt is going to be the mudroom. The Stardew is actually blue but looks gray - this is going to be the color of the doors. I need to tape the sample to the outside of the front door so maybe I'll paint that too. Eventually I would like to paint all the trim in the house and touch everything up and then paint the doors a different color than the trim. I'm ready to do something a little different. 

Yay! We're getting closer and closer!

 

No comments: