Pages

12.12.2022

I'm The Garden Lady

 

Earlier this year, in the spring, I started volunteering with the Garden Committee at the school by our house. I finally was able to get a routine going, I was able to keep the house clean, get all the kids gathered together and actually had a handle on life, which seems pretty odd after living through a pandemic where nothing was together. 

The ladies that I volunteer with are fantastic and one is done after this spring. I'm going to volunteer myself to be garden chair because now I actually have time and it's something that I want to do. I really like how satisfying it is teaching the kids something about plants. 

In any case, last week one full grade actually got to go on a field trip to the local Arboretum and the kids all planted garlic cloves. This is interesting because garlic is supposed to be planted in the fall AND in the ground. Our garden is closed down and it's done for the season - we planted our garlic in the beds already. And there's snow on the ground!

The teachers asked if we could get the grow lights out so of course I said yes. I decided to organize the cart and get the little cloves under the lights. I have them timed for about 8 hours per day. I'll move that up to 10 hours per day either tomorrow or Wednesday, I think. I'm going to send the kids home with their sprouted garlic cloves the day before they leave for Winter Break. I found some bags and then I'll tie them up with some nice ribbon so it looks like a little gift for their parents. And instructions are also always handy when it comes to plants!




No comments: