I usually grow varieties that the kids will eat for sure - sometimes the fun different varieties can be difficult to convince the kids to eat. These purple carrots were a hit. I cut them into carrot sticks for snacks. Will definitely be planting again next year.
Carrot growing review: Easy to germinate; definitely give each carrot space to grow, otherwise they don't get as long; plant in looser soil or more sandy soil; I felt like these needed heavier watering but they were fairly easy to grow; would be good for a beginner gardener
Mini tomatoes for my neighbor: absolutely delicious; these are all good varieties to make a fresh pasta sauce too (basically add a little onion or shallot to a pan with fresh garlic, wait until all transluscent, add the tomatoes until they burst, then add in fresh basil - serve over or mixed with your favorite pasta)
Tri-color tomatoes for sandwiches
Mini sweet peppers - I actually do not recomment these. They were not as sweet as expected and took quite awhile to grow. The plants only produced one crop, they do not keep flowering like others. Unfortunately I received the starts from a friend and they were only labeled "sweet peppers" so I will have to do some digging. I'm thinking they might be a "Lunchbox" variety.
No comments:
Post a Comment