Pages

2.11.2008

Celebritory Black Bean Soup & Grilled Cheese

So I'm not one for grilled cheese and tomato soup - I will eat it, but I like my grilled cheese with black bean soup. Today we had two great reasons to celebrate - my husband's birthday and my new job!

I make a lot of black bean soups - sometimes they're more southwestern, sometimes they're so Minnesotan that I'm not really sure if it counts as black bean soup! Here's the one I made tonight...

Black Bean Soup

3 cans of black beans
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans stock (chicken, beef or veggie works, if you want thick soup, just use one can)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
Salt & pepper to taste
Cilantro to mix in at end & for garnish
1 8 oz bag frozen corn

In a stock pot over medium heat, put olive oil in to cover the bottom then add the green pepper & onions. Sweat until clear & soft for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook 2 minutes more. Add in all other ingredients except for corn and cilantro.

Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. Then add corn, simmer 5 minutes longer. Mix in some cilantro (but not if you're going to freeze it) or just garnish with cilantro.

Serve hot with grilled cheese sandwiches.

Yum!

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Bread for however many sandwiches
2 slices cheese for however many sandwiches
Kraft American cheese has the best melting, but I really like cheddar or provolone
Margarine
Chili powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Spread margarine over one side of each piece of bread. Top bread with 2 slices of cheese, sprinkle with a little chili powder. Cover the cheese with another slice of margarine coated bread and put into the oven.

Flip after 6 minutes, then let toast for another 3 - 4 minutes.

Slice diagonally and serve with the black bean soup!

PSH

No comments: