Pages

4.07.2008

Cuban Chicken Pizza

Before the Dave Matthews concert last night, we had to eat something. A fresh bunch of cilantro and parsley sits in my fridge, chilling in a tall pitcher of water. It needed to be used.

I came across THIS Cuban Chicken Pizza recipe and thought it looked good. I wanted smoky, a little spice and something to fill us up so we wouldn’t have to spend money to get food from the concert venue.

Here are my adaptations:
Ingredients
2 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
Pam cooking spray
1 cup frozen corn, not defrosted
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tsp hot sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups diced grilled chicken breast
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup cheese, whatever you have on hand
3 tbsp olive oil
4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

Marinate the chicken with olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, hot sauce, 1 tsp of cilantro, salt and pepper for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350°.
Place flour tortillas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Grill chicken, 4 – 6 minutes on a hot grill pan while toasting the tortillas. Dice.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add corn to pan, and cook 1 minute or until lightly charred. Add chicken, black beans, and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.

Place tortillas on baking sheet. Put a little cheese on the tortillas so the bean mixture sticks, then spoon 3/4 cup bean mixture onto each tortilla; top each with 3 tablespoons of cheese. Bake at 350° for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. Sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.


I would make this again, but char corn on the cob on the grill outside when it’s a little warmer. Yum, in anticipation of my upcoming trip to the Caribbean with my mom, I will definitely start making more food like this! Perfect on a hot day!

I promise, instead of ravenously wolfing down my food, I'll try and take pics before... it's so hard when my stomach is grumbling and there's a Corona waiting for me...

PSH

No comments: