Pages

6.01.2008

Citrus Fish with Bell Pepper Couscous

So while I was cooking the power went out. Thank goodness for gas stoves. At first I was like, crap, how the heck am I going to cook my fish thoroughly? Then I realized I had a gas stove. Go figure, I'm a blond. In the pic above, I'm not sure if you can see the steam rising from the ground or not - it was 90 degrees and after it rained, well, it's not even 70.
Secret ingredient: Tabasco. It makes your fish not smell like fish. Seriously.

You can use any kind of fish, they had a special on salmon, so that's what I got. Really you should use halibut, but I'm not picky in Indiana. In Minnesota, yes, I'm picky. So gather your ingredients, but don't forget salt & pepper.
Juice & jest your lemons & limes into a small dish (just large enough for your fish, tonight I cook for me only.)
Some people drink wine whilst they cook. I drink Beer.
Limes are hard to juice every once in awhile. Take your frustrations out on it, the lime will comes to its senses sooner or later.
Mmm... limes....
Then add the fresh thyme to the bowl, about 2 tbsp. Add approximately 2 tbsp olive oil to the mixture and then toss in the fish. Let marinate about 15 minutes.
Chop your cucumber. Trim around all the sides like above. One can't cut and photograph at the same time you know.
Cut your bell pepper the same way. Aren't the insides kinda pretty? I only used 3/4 of a bell pepper because I had 1/4 of it in a salad yesterday.
I wish I had a yard to grow bell peppers. Oh, well.
Chop them - but not too small. You want good size chunks in your couscous. Chop 4 green onions too. Then put into pretty dishes. Or not. Actually, next time I won't. Now heat up a medium size sauce pan on the stove, add 2 tbsp olive oil and heat over medium. As soon as the oil smokes throw the green onions and bell pepper into the pan. Cook for 4 minutes.
Don't add the cucumber yet. Add 1 1/4 cup chicken broth, heat to boiling.

As soon as it boils, turn off the heat, add 1 cup couscous and your cucumber. Cover and let sit while the fish cooks.
Put your fish into a medium skillet - over medium heat. You can add olive oil if you want to, but remember its been marinating in it, so you don't really need too much more. Saute skin side down first for 3 minutes.
I'm messy, I'll have much cleaning up to do.
Ta da! Not anymore! My mother-in-law bought us one of these things from Ikea, works wonders when you're a messy cook like me.

During the last three minutes of your fish cooking, grab a fork and fluff your couscous. I ate some of it out of the pan. When the husband's away... the wifey will play... in the kitchen that is...

This is adapted from Rachael Ray's May 2008 magazine. Yum!
Citrus Fish with Bell Pepper Couscous
3 tbsp evoo
1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (didn't have, didn't use)
Juice & peel of one lemon and one lime
Segments of orange, chopped plus the grated peel (eh, don't like oranges, didn't use)
1 tbsp tabasco sauce
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
4 pieces mahi-mahi, halibut or roughy
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups couscous
1. In a shallow dish combine 2 tbsp evoo, parsley, lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice & peels, hot sauce and thyme. Season with salt & pepper. Add the fish and marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat a grill pan to medium. In a medium sauce pan add 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and scallions ( I also used cucumbers) season with salt & pepper and cooked until softened, 3 - 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the couscous, turn off the heat, cover to keep warm.
3. Grill the fish until cooked through, 3 - 4 minutes on each side.
4. Fluff the couscous, add the orange sections and mix.
Enjoy!
PSH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for couscous! I actually made some tonight as well.
Your whole meal is the epitomy of a fresh summer meal, very tasty looking!