Pages

6.16.2008

Julia's Lemon Loaf Cake

Mmm... Lemon cake. Yep, the people that I work with get spoiled!
I used half & half instead of heavy cream - no heavy cream at the grocery store either. The Kroger in Martinsville is still closed. Because of flooding.
I love the flavor of lemons - honestly I was about to make homemade lemonade instead (of course with vodka), but it was someone's birthday at work, so I had to go for the cake instead. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature.
When you start - don't crack the eggs right over the bowl like I did. I had to dig out a shell and egg shells are pretty frustrating to dig out. Do what Ina does - break into a different bowl first, then pour into your main mixing bowl. I learned my lesson.
Fold the melted, cooled butter in nicely. It takes a little work - but I love the butter in the end! Fold smoothly, it makes a difference!
Blake, of Blake Makes! mailed out Amano chocolate - I was lucky enough to get some, so of course, I had to make some frosting!
When you pull the cake out of the oven, make sure it cools evenly - then after cooled, cut all the browned edges off to make it look nice. And lovely. And beautiful for the people at work.
Yep, I know, my plate's too big but I don't really care! It's yummy!

Lemon Loaf Cake
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
Grated zest of 3 lemons (make lemonade for yourself with these)
1 3/4 cup cake flour (use Pillsbury, it's made in Minnesota)
1/2 teaspon baking powder
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used half & half)
5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled to room temperature
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees farenheit. Butter a 9x5 loaf pan and dust with flour, shaking out the excess.
Working in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt for just a moment until foamy and smoothly blended. Whisk in the grated zest.
Spoon the flour and baking powder into a sifter and sift about a third into the foamy egg mixture. Whisk the flour into the eggs - no need to beat. Sift the flour in two more additions and whisk only until incorporated. Whisk the heavy cream into the mixture. Switch to a spatula and gently, but quickly fold in the butter.
Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan - it will level itself out - bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until the center of the cake crowns and cracks and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake to a cooling rack to rest for 10 minutes before unmolding. Serve cool or wait a day.
McTatty's Frosting:
Melt chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter in microwave. Drizzle over cake to finish.
Enjoy!
PSH

No comments: