Pages

7.26.2008

Easy Summer Chili

I know, I know. Chili in the summer. Well, trust me, this stuff is fabulous -
It's really a mash-up of stuff I had in the cubboards. Since I'm moving, I have about 6 can's of beans that I need to use up because I don't want to haul food with. Use a good 1/2 - 3/4 cup summer ale, I happened to have Honey Moon handy.
And for the secret ingredient - yep, more honey. A little more than 1 tablespoon works wonders.Let simmer for 20 - 25 minutes. Oh, and seriously - the pan you use has something to do with the flavor. I LOVE my cast iron pans and use them for pretty much everything. Since I grew up with family using them, I have a confession. I never really clean them. Gross, right? Well, not really.

I WIPE THEM OUT.

For sticky stuff I "rinse" the pan out with warm water and dry really well, then reseason by oiling and putting in a warm oven for an hour. My family used to go camping and these were the only pans we'd use. Ha! Easy for us kids that had to clean, right?

Here's the leftovers - when you reheat, add about 1 tablespoon chicken stock/broth or water and another pinch salt to bring out the flavors.My lovely pan after I've rinsed it out. The next meal in it - Toads in a Hole to re-season it (yeah, funny, right?).

Summer Chili

½ - ¾ cup summer ale
1 can black beans
1 can of either pinto or kidney beans
1 can tomato sauce
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp chili powder (not as much as regular chili!!)
2 - 3 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
2 - 3 shakes of Tabasco
Salt & pepper to taste
1 ½ - 2 tablespoons honey
½ - 1 pound ground turkey (I only use 1/2 because we don't eat much meat)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Splash of lime juice (optional)

Toppers: Cheddar cheese, green onions, chopped tomatoes

Heat your pan to medium, put the olive oil into the pan. Toss in the chopped onion. Brown your ground turkey.

As soon as your ground turkey is not pink – turn it up and let it brown on high heat, stirring occasionally for 1 minute. You’ll see brown spots appear on the meat, means it’s caramelizing and you’ll have better chili color (because ground turkey obviously isn’t as dark as ground beef).
Drop the heat back to medium and add in everything else, no particular order except for your toppers. You can add the beer first or last. You can add the honey first or last, however you feel like it.
Easy, right? Yep.

Then, let simmer for 20 – 25 minutes. At the very last second – cut a lime in half and squeeze the juice over the chili (yeah, I know what you’re thinking… but remember, this is summer chili so it’s more sweet & tart with a hint of spice & heat rather than ALL spice & heat).

Serve warm with your choice of toppings. I happen to like cheese, green onions & chopped tomatoes.
Oh, it’s even better leftover served over hot dogs too!

PSH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum - I never would have guessed honey would be good in chili. I really really need to get a cast iron skillet. Less dishwashing? YES PLEASE!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to sweeten chili! As for your cast iron pans... my stoneware is so black it looks like cast iron and I don't wash them either. In fact, they bake empty whenever my oven is on since I store it in my oven all the time!