Pages

11.03.2008

Samosas And Meet THE MONSTER

And so my fury with Blogger begins. After 4 drinks, I'm mightily frustrated and ready for, well, another drink. I'm making Samosas. Very easy to make, but very hard to blog. Yeah. That's me on a Monday! Actually, Blogger kept uploading the pics in a random order. So, after a few drinks, instead of being MORE frustrated, like I really should. Well, I'm not that frustrated anymore.
The Pantry. I have a closet for a pantry. I'm a proud Pantry Momma...
So you really begin Samosas by making mashed potatoes (or using leftover mashed potatoes). I happen to like Betty Crocker's. When I don't make them from scratch that is...
And butter. Please, use real butter in your mashed potatoes. It makes a difference.
The ingredients. For Samosas. I love curry. Doesn't everyone? Maybe not...
Ahhhh... Meet THE MONSTER. We've adopted a Golden Retriever/Irish Setter Mix in light of the death of our 11 year old Bimmer Dog. Trust me, there are times that I come home and have a total break down. The first weekend we got a sympathy card from the vet. OMG. I balled. Into THE MONSTER's scruff. And then I felt horrible, how could we get another dog and yet I was crying into THE MONSTER's fur? Well, we wanted to save a Golden. Bimmer Dog was something out of the ordinary. THE MONSTER is also out of the ordinary. Completely opposite personalities. THE MONSTER, though, is quite a challenge. As you can tell, he's curious. About EVERYTHING, but very easy going. Like me.
Then you'll chop the medium onion and toss it into a medium hot pan with 2 - 3 tablespoons of olive for approximately 8 minutes.
Say, "Hi MONSTER!!!"
And then resume the saute of the onion.
Feed THE MONSTER. Notice the mess he makes. He actually cleans up after himself. Maybe one or two pieces of food will be left. Did you know that we fee him close to 6 cups of high protein dog food a day? Or that I get up at 6 and take him for a 30 minute run every day? Um, yeah, that's THE MONSTER!!!
So we've skipped ahead. Darnnabbit Blogger. Add the mashed potatoes.
But before the mashed potatoes you add the curry.
AND BEFORE you add the curry, you add the peas.
But these are the almost finished samosas. Ok, so now this is kinda frustrating (STUPID BLOGGER), because you need to see the steps BEFORE. Ok, so after the steps BELOW have been completed, place on a baking sheet that's been PAM'ed.
Pinch the corners together.
Cut each circle of dough into 6 pieces.
AHA!!! Mix the potatoes into the onion, curry & pea mixture.
Isn't THE MONSTER a doll face? Yes, he is! He's so dang red. Honestly, what color is he? Brown? Red? Maroon? Gold? I think we got a Golden Gopher dog!! Great mascot...
THE MONSTER sleeps. After 45 minutes of fetch and a 1 hour walk at night. He finally sleeps. I forget what having a 1 year old dog is like. You're always on the go...
The finished Samosas.
And basic chicken. Sauted with McCormick's steak seasoning and saved for Chicken Pot Pies...

Quick & Easy Samosas


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
Kosher salt and pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
2 cups (about 16 ounces) refrigerated mashed potatoes
1 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed
1 15-ounce package refrigerated piecrusts
1 jar mango chutney (optional)

Heat oven to 375° F.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the potatoes and peas.

Unroll the piecrusts and cut each into 6 triangles. Place a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture in the center of each piece. Gather the corners of the dough and pinch to form a point. Pinch the seams to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet.

Bake the samosas until golden, about 25 minutes. Serve with the mango chutney, if desired.

Enjoy!

PSH

No comments: