Pages

7.23.2009

Buying a Home. Kind of. Advice.

So in the upcoming event of Bimmer Man and me owning a house, I've decided that I need to look for some decorating inspiration.

Mostly because I've been uninspired by so many houses that we've looked at (like 50 if not more) and I've come to the conclusion that I need some real inspiration to decorate. I need some ideas. I need a... Well, I'm not really sure. Bimmer LOVES one house and I LOVE another but we'd both be happy in either.

Some advice:

1. Look past the decorating and see YOUR STUFF in the house. We don't have "stuff" like many other people do. (We moved from a 1 bedroom house and got rid of most of our furniture so we wouldn't have to move it back to MN). So in that case...

2. Imagine yourself cooking in the kitchen. And then pretend to cook in the kitchen. Does it work? If not, well, move on if you don't want to renovate.

3. Look at ALL the comparables. Seriously, if the asking price is overpriced, the comps will really help you to see the value of the house.

4. Below ground square footage doesn't count as much as above ground square footage.

5. Unusable space. What the heck will YOU use it for???

6. How far away is the bathroom compared to the bedrooms? In a 1 1/2 story, if there's a bedroom upstairs, do you really want to crawl hungover down a flight of stairs on a Sunday morning? I don't think so...

7. Check to see if the basement is wet. Look at all the plumbing. Galvanized steel vs. copper. Where is the drain? Where's the furnace? Where's the water heater? Water softener? Yep, there's lots more to a basement than you might think...

8. If you want to change something, like say, flooring... go to a home improvement store with the dimensions or do it online and get an estimate. That may change your mind about improvements. Seriously. Those dang costs add up.

9. How do you sleep best? If your new bedroom is on the East side of a house but you like it pitch black, how are you going to change the room so you can actually sleep in? Skylights??? Do you like them?

10. Check the windows, siding and roofing. How old is the roof? How old is the siding? Do you have to paint the siding? Might you have to change any windows?

11. And the list could go on and on and on.

So today I'll leave you with my favorite chair of the day:

West Elm wingback lounge chair on sale - $499

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry! Everything will work out! Gosh I miss you! Hope you are doing well.