Pages

11.01.2011

Book Review: Faithful Place by Tana French

This book was pretty good - Faithful Place by Tana French. I really enjoy mystery novels and I like how the author writes - not only does she leave some things lingering, but the story doesn't come together until the very end. Her writing is suspenseful and each of the characters in the book has a place. Don't you hate it when you read a book and you think, why the heck is this character even here?

Quick summary:

The setting takes place in Ireland - present day and also goes back in time. Frank Mackey leaves his family because they're a bit odd (well, you know, there's the usual crazy siblings, drunk father and typical Irish mother) and he planned on eloping with his secret girlfriend. She didn't show up that night. He left anyway. The family thinks the girlfriend is with him. He thinks otherwise. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Then her suitcase is found and all hell breaks loose. He goes back to his family, finds out the truth, gets in fights with his siblings, re-examines relationships, etc... And yes, the real murderer is found - and like the other Tana French novels, there's a twist. If you don't read ahead like me, you start to suspect but don't actually know until the truth is out there in the book.

All in all, this took me about two weeks to get through reading at night before bed. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into mystery novels. Actually, I'd recommend it if you're interested in Ireland too.

I still have one more Tana French novel to get to, but I also read In The Woods. I also enjoyed that mystery too - so make sure you put that one on your list!

No comments: