Pages

11.11.2011

CSA Recipe: Bruschetta



YUM. (Although I had a serious aversion to basil early on, I've sort of gotten over it... I'm seriously waiting for next year to chow down on all the basil possible...). If you use MEATY tomatoes, you'll get more bruschetta, plus it won't be so mushy and you'll be able to fit more of it onto your toasty bread.

These tomatoes came from our awesome CSA - Driftless Organics (which, BTW Driftless, I've still got your check sitting here to be mailed for the December box, so don't fret, I just need a stamp!!!). I think next year I'm going to order a full share - I plan on making my own baby food... we will see how that goes. Rusty is still eating raw so I think this kid has got a good change of eating organic... (and it's a girl - just found out yesterday, now let's see how many of you are paying attention!).

Recipe:

Bruschetta

4 - 6 meaty tomatoes - I like using Roma tomatoes, but I'll use anything after using the CSA tomatoes
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt & pepper
A really good handful of basil, julienned
Olive oil - I'd say 2 - 3 tbsp (circle the bottle around the bowl 2 - 3 times and there you have it!)
Good crusty bread, you can toast it in the oven OR on the grill.

Chop the tomatoes into small pieces. Put everything into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
 Serve with crusty bread and big paper towels to catch falling tomatoes.

No comments: