Pages

8.20.2020

Book Review - American Spy



Ooooh. I have mixed reviews, leaning towards the "yes, I recommend!"

First, the mystery storyline in this book wasn't as emphasized so I really didn't give it another thought other than "oh, her sister disappeared" which means that I didn't actually think this was a mystery novel. So when the "mystery" was solved at the end, it didn't actually surprise me. I thought what happened in the mystery had just been implied from the beginning. Maybe I read too many mystery novels?? Instead her job and job descriptions and job titles and job duties came first - then it seemed the mystery came second. I guess not as an afterthought but more as...how do we fit the two stories together to make this plot plausible? I don't see it as a big issue but it's just good to know that the mystery part of this book is bigger to the plot than what I realized.

Second, I wanted more spy material. There was lots of dialogue, travel to different countries, and descriptions of spy stories but the main character didn't do as much spying as the title implies. Again, maybe I've read too many "spy novels" and have high expectations? The main character's duty is to become the friend/lover of a ruler of a country, which seems a little unbelievable - and the relationship between the two does seem a little forced at times, but also, that's the spy's job - to make it happen!

Third, definitely wanted more spy material. More thrills, please! But the job that she had wasn't exactly about jumping out of planes, trains, or shooting at people all the time so the thrills were more calculating. 

Overall, the writing, descriptions, and characters were well-developed and well-thought and made me picture the places in the book in lovely detail. I wanted to visit each place and see everything that was described, especially ride a scooter over a bridge made of plywood. I wanted to be in the garden drinking coffee with breakfast and have a spy radio too. I wanted to show up at a business and be there for the underground business and not the cover business. All of the writing made me want to be in the story too. I really hope that someone makes a movie out of this - I want to know what someone else's interpretations are and who they choose for characters. 

Definitely add this to your to-read list!

No comments: