Pages

8.17.2020

Stack of Books


My to-read list is pretty long - but I'm going through books fairly quickly. The only one I don't have is How To Be Anti-Racist which is the book club choice for August - however, my Kindle isn't working quite right and I can't download the book. I may have to reset my Kindle.

Since the library closed in March, I've been buying books at an alarming rate and just looked at my stack. I stopped buying books so I can get through these before I buy anymore. The library just re-opened too so I've been getting books that I've requested.

About two weeks ago I flew through a book I borrowed from my sister - Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich with her Stephanie Plum series. I forgot how terrible and funny those books are. I really don't have to think much while reading them so I can get through them in just a couple days. So I requested numbers 15 and 16 (because I couldn't remember where I stopped in the series, I had to look at my Goodreads account). Finished both of those in the same week and now I just requested number 19. I don't feel as though they really go in order?? Maybe I can't remember what happened in previous books but I do know that it seems that the main character is always stuck in the same place in a relationship, the cars blow up, something is on fire, and her hamster, Rex, is alive at the end. So honestly, if you need a book where you don't have to think and you just want to read - start with One For The Money and see what you think. This series is serious brain cookies, where it's not hard to follow along and you do laugh. Just keep in mind that none of it is realistic, it's all made up, and so with that - the books make for great reads for me when I'm finished with heavy books.

I'm in the middle of Still Midnight by Denise Mina. It was slow to start and also a bit hard to follow at the beginning, which for me can be tricky because I hate to have to go back and re-read previous chapters. The book follows all of the characters, not just the main detective so you get to see the crime happen and the whole mystery unfold. The little details are currently making the investigation more interesting and definitely making this book better to read! As soon as I hit the actual investigation part, I started liking this more and more. So if you're into European mysteries written by women, this is definitely a book for you - and this is also the first book in a series about the main detective. 

Next up after this - I have to finish The Tattooist of Auschwitz to be able to give that to a friend, which I think I only have about 70 pages left. The people that survived these camps are fucking amazing. There's no other words to describe them, I don't think. I can get through that fairly quickly. Last month I was on a WWII kick and read many fictional books that had nonfiction threads wound through the stories, so I needed a bit of a break with the heavy material. In this day, you'd think that Americans would have learned from the past but since the war didn't actually take place here in America, I think it's hard for some Americans to be able to empathize and realize how terrible, and horrific the Holocaust was because there are people that are currently comparing mask-wearing to the Holocaust (right, there's absolutely NO COMPARISON. We're trying to save lives, not KILL PEOPLE). 

Happy Monday! Go find some time to read today!
 

No comments: