Pages

9.20.2023

Another Backyard Project


In the winter, this part of our side yard is in the shade, which means that it's icy and tends to get ice & snow buildup. CJ puts a ton of snow over here and every spring I end up digging it out and throwing it into the yard to melt. Getting older, I really want to avoid this. CJ is going to have to start throwing the snow into the yard from the beginning because when that snow melts in the spring time - this area is just one big icy lake.

So, to hopefully help in aiding of water going into the ground and not becoming such a lake, I'm digging out all the extra dirt on top and removing it from our yard (I'm bringing it to school where they actually need it it fill in holes!) and then dropping in the leftover stepping stones from my patio project earlier this year. I'm planning on going as far as I possibly can because there's just so much run off onto the sidewalk when it rains and when the snow melts. The drainage just needs to be better and every year I'm worried that I'll slip and fall and break a leg or an elbow. At the end towards the driveway, I'm going to have to trench it so the water runs out to the driveway and then out into the alley. Bad drainage is just the worst and something needs to be done about it. 

I'm a little sad about how Phil killed all my hostas back here too - yesterday I dug out 3 and just composted them. because they were so stressed and had been smashed so often, they started reverting to plain green leaves. It's really annoying and they weren't as pretty anyway. I have one HUGE hosta left which I'm going to have to move to save it. I'm planning on putting it by our front door, just to the right of the steps when you're looking at the house and a little to the left of Quentin's room.

Soooo... back to my project before it snows.... Happy Wednesday!

 

No comments: