It's really difficult to start cool weather crops when it's 90+ degrees outside. Right now we're in the middle of a cyclosporis outbreak - it's in lettuce and other greens sold by a large corporation. This particular poop lettuce is contaminated by feces, specifically HUMAN FECES. So lately in garden groups and on sites like Threads I have seen many, many people commenting to "grow your own" and "it doesn't take long." Well, let me tell you... these are cool weather crops and they don't like to grow in 90 degrees.
I started this lettuce outside in the shade about 3 weeks ago. The temperature, including overnight lows has not been any lower than 75 degrees. Cool weather crops like the lower end of spring temps which means lows at night can be in the 40's and these babies THRIVE. I should probably bring this in and put it in my basement for the cool basement air but I did this as an experiment to show people that you can't just plant seeds expecting them to do what you want them to do. Each variety you plant has needs, and they don't necessarily align with your particular microclimate.
So during this outbreak, don't worry, it's not just YOUR lettuce that's not growing - the cool weather crops don't like the heat of summer!
I started Spinach, Arugula, and a heat tolerant lettuce where I pulled out garlic today. I also sprinkled in some radishes - my family doesn't like radishes but I do. I will happily snack and munch on radishes along with adding them to tacos and any salad bowls I make. The spot where these are planted is shaded until about 11 am; then it gets shady again around 5:30-6pm-ish. If these do well, I'll have to make a note to succession these in this spot again.
I also did another succession of cilantro. These seeds were planted two weeks ago. I keep this pot in part shade ALL DAY. Even in the shade, the cilantro struggles because it is a cool weather loving herb - the heat tends to send it to seed extremely quickly. I haven't found a good heat tolerant variety yet.
And I do have to water it twice daily. For being an herb easily found in grocery stores, it sure can be a picky one to grow!
For those wondering, I'm a Zone 5B grower, in St Louis Park, Minnesota. This summer has been rainy to start, and the heat at 90+ degrees has now been on every day for the last two weeks. It has only rained once in the last week and a half. I have now had to deeply water a few times over the last few days because it has been so dry!
If you're starting a succession of cool weather crops, just remember that in their ideal conditions (think early spring) the weather is VERY different - cooler and wetter - you can imitate those conditions by starting under grow lights in a basement, but if you want less work, just start outside in a more shady area. You can start in pots in shade, then move to a sunnier spot as fall moves in. But don't be hard on yourself if they don't grow - succession gardening is pushing the boundaries of the varieties that you're growing and not always growing in ideal conditions. I see every year as an experiement to grow more of what we eat and more of what I love to look at and what brings me joy.
If you're planting lettuce, radishes, arugula, and other greens - good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment