It's already mid-September and the Monarchs are migrating to Mexico. This is one of my favorite times of year for seeing butterflies. I've had an odd butterfly season though.
This year I've noticed only a few of my milkweeds actually being chomped on and having eggs, otherwise, all the butterflies and pollinators have been on my native plants. I only found one caterpillar earlier this year - and many eggs - hiding in the milkweed closest to my house.
Here's a Painted Lady
I have a feeling that somehow, I've also attracted many birds, and birds eat the caterpillars. The cabbage moth population was down this year in my backyard but the singing bird population was quite high. I also have been feeding crows. The crows decided they liked the lady who was giving them straight up peanuts a block away though - but they come back a few times per week because I give them either lamb or fish based dog food. I KNOW. I KNOW. I feel like a hedgewitch. I have crows.
The monarchs absolutely LOVE native liatris and will roost for DAYS. Basically, for the last 3 days, my liatris has been collecting butterflies. I would like to get 3-5 more plants for next year. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the native plant nursery websites to make sure I can get a few more.
They are just so pretty. I'm hoping the weather holds out so these remarkably light things can get as far as they can while it's still rather warm. Our nights are starting to get really cool (great for sleeping and for tomato ripening!).
AS you can see, there are some really pretty native flowers that are fairly attractive instead of what people might think are boring or just green or just too white and not fancy enough for gardens. I would absolutely try planting some liatris, rudbeckia, and butterfly weed. The colors, even on the native plants, are bright enough that the perennials are fun to watch grow and you get to support the pollinators.
No comments:
Post a Comment