Pages

3.22.2008

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup

Being from Minnesota, wild rice was a staple in my diet growing. There's nothing like the wild rice you get from the North Woods. And there's nothing else like Byerly's Wild Rice Soup. I made a double batch of this last night - being away from Minnesota for two years has take a toll on our eating habits and I'm starting to miss hot dish, wild rice and finnish pancakes along with lefse.

I didn't make any changes in the recipe - although now I wish I would've added two cloves of mashed garlic and 1 - 2 cups of good white wine. Oh, well! Next time!

You find the original recipe here along with so many more favorites from this "upscale" grocery store and restaurant. I'll definitely list it here too (copy and pasting yes, because I'm totally admitting that I stole it - and for good cause!) - And the next time I defrost some, I swear I'll take a picture!

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup


Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients
  • 6 tablespoons margarine or butter
  • 1 tablespoon minced onion
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups cooked wild rice
  • 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
  • 1/3 cup minced ham
  • 3 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry, (optional)
  • snipped fresh parsley or chives
Directions
In large saucepan, melt margarine; saute onion until tender. Blend in flour; gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice, carrots, ham, almonds and salt; simmer about 5 minutes. Blend in half and half and sherry; heat to serving temperature. Garnish with snipped parsley or chives.

Amount: 6 cups.

Tip:
One-half cup uncooked wild rice=1 1/2 to 2 cups, cooked.

PSH

No comments: