Pages

3.05.2008

Kitchen Gardens

Oh, how I wish I didn't live in an apartment.

As I read this article from The Simple Dollar, I realized that next year I'll be able to do this, woo hoo! Planning a kitchen garden is something that my family has done every year since I am able to remember.

Tomatoes, lettuce, squash, green peppers, potatoes, carrots, green onions, marigolds, cucumbers, zucchini - almost all vegetables I think I've helped plant and grow. My favorite is still the sweat peas, but of course the rabbits like those as much as I do!

Every day this week I've been making myself an omelet for lunch. Protein is what I've been craving lately - and calcium. Omelets are easy to make, and even more fun to eat when you have a variety of vegetables - from your own garden. My goal is to do this next year in our cute little bungalow and just have 3 - 4 large planters with everything we eat. We'll see if that happens!

McTatty's Lunch Omelets

2 - 3 eggs
1 tbsp milk
2 - 3 slices of deli turkey
1/4 cup mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved & kinda juiced (so that the omelet isn't too runny)

My usual array of toppings:
Mushrooms
Green onions
Turkey
Cheese
Chili powder & cumin

I like to pile everything up - I'm in love with omelets.

Creating the perfect omelet:
1. Beat the eggs with the milk.
2. Spray a 7 - 8 inch skillet with Pam and heat over medium - low. Toss in the turkey.
3. Wait until turkey is sizzling, then pour in the egg mixture. Add the salt & pepper. And wait. like 30 - 45 seconds.
4. Pull up a little piece of one side, let runny egg go under the cooked part - keep doing this all around the pan, the egg will cook evenly.
5. Add the toppings to one side, fold the omelet over the otherside and let cook for another 35 - 45 seconds.

C'etait parfait! Voila!

PSH

No comments: