Pages

3.14.2008

Turkey Meatballs.... And Spaghetti

I'm in love with ground turkey. The only thing I haven't made so far is turkey tacos. I'm a little bit afraid that my husband will be able to tell the difference. But with meatballs, I don't think he really cared all that much!

Turkey Meatballs

1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, or 1 whole shallot
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
2 large eggs, yolks & all
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp dried basil or LOTS of fresh basil - however much you're feelin' the herbs
3 LARGE cloves garlic, finely chopped & mashed to a pulp
1/4 cup olive oil

So I started with my mom's regular swedish meatball recipe, but decided that I wanted spaghetti instead. Meatballs are easily modified, but if you're afraid of not sticking to the recipe, don't worry, it's not that hard!

Dump all ingredients except for olive oil into a large mixing bowl. TAKE YOUR RINGS OFF. Then start to combine. Don't over mix - it's just right when you can form a small golf ball size meatball in your hands. If it's too sticky, add 1 - 2 tbsp more bread crumbs, if it's not sticky enough, add another egg OR 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil.

Heat a LARGE frying pan to hot with the olive oil, and I mean get it screaming hot so it smokes. Be careful - drop the meatballs in and fry until golden brown on all sides. It should only take about 45 seconds for color to begin, then roll 'em around to another side. Once brown on all sides, remove from pan.

Then:

If you're making homemade spaghetti sauce, here's my recipe:

1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sugar
Handful of fresh basil, if on hand
Pinch of thyme, or maybe more than a pinch if needed
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all in the same pan used to make the meatballs - if using an already made sauce, just pour in and bring to a simmer.

Drop the meatballs in and simmer for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cook spaghetti like normal.

Enjoy!

I LOVE spaghetti and meatballs - it's one of my favorite meals and now turkey has made it even better!

PSH

No comments: