Pages

4.06.2009

Stuffed Bell Peppers


Oh yum... If I ever had to live on leftovers. Well, just give me BBQ sauce, bread and cheese because sammies are great! BUT, a leftover stuffed pepper? That's really great too!

So first, chop an onion.
And gather your other ingredients, like tomato sauce.
Bell peppers (I don't care what color but green ones were on sale for 79 cents at Kroger).
Sweet or spicy turkey sausage (I used sweet, but I LOVE spicy sausage).
Rice. (Do you know how to make rice already? Just bring to a boil 1 can of chicken broth, as soon as it boils, turn off the heat and add in 1 3/4 cup rice. Put a lid on it for 5 minutes. Voila! Rice!).
Italian seasoning.
Meanwhile, defrost chicken to make fake-out chicken parmesan.
Neatly cut out the center of the peppers.
Pull out the seeds and other gunk, because you can't stuff it if it's full with other stuff.
Brown the sausage and onion together in a very large pan.
Line up your three green soldiers.
Oh - I love green. I'm trying to collect mostly green kitchen things. But, well, it's hard!
After you've browned the sausage and the onion is nice and soft, clear and tastes sweet (um, I love onions so I'll eat them however you happen to cook them)...
Pour in the can of tomato sauce. Have you started the rice yet? DO IT NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT YET!
Put the chicken around the bell peppers in the casserole dish to make sure everything fits well.
Yes, it looks like it does...
When the rice is done - add about half the sausage mixture to the rice. As soon is it looks pretty well mixed, then you're ready to stuff the peppers.
You may need to even out the bottom of a pepper before you stuff it. Not a problem, just carefully slice off one of the nubs until it's even.
Oh - I can taste the goodness already...
Here they are after 35 minutes in a 375 degree oven. (You can kinda see the fake Parmesan chicken, right? Just add one can on tomato sauce to the pan, after 30 minutes, top the chicken with mozzarella cheese and continue the baking process until cheese gooey, bubbly and melted).
Mmm... peppers....
My favorite! Use the leftover stuffing mixture to make enchiladas.

Enjoy!

No comments: