Pages

4.11.2010

Demolishing the Rotting Deck

The joys of home ownership. The benches on the deck were rotting. In fact, one sort of fell apart which happened to be the catalyst for this project. Bimmer sat down or maybe pounded a hammer on a bench and it just sort of, well, fell apart.
So he took the rest of it apart too. Sort of.
See then there's this UGLY lamp post. At Menard's it's less than $50. If you want this one for free, please let me know so that I can get it out of our yard. Please. I love our house, but the people that lived here before us just didn't take the best care of it.
For example, these are not pressure treated boards. Someone was cheap and didn't buy the pressure treated stuff, unfortunately we're the ones that have to deal with it. So, off they came.
Here's one side of the deck where A bench is still standing for the moment. We have to put up railings and then I think some other types of seating. I particularly enjoyed reading a book and watching the dogs.
So they way the benches were attached to the deck was not cool. It's actually ruined the boards and now we have to replace parts of the deck. That's fine, but we weren't exactly prepared for the cost. Plus I want to think about what we want to do for it too.
And the old planter. The dirt was on top, it was hollow in the middle and not attached to the deck.
I'm not sure how well you can see this, but the lamp post wasn't/isn't actually attached to the deck. It's just sitting on wooden boards. Not safe at all!! So we're in the market for a new lamp post, benches, stain for the deck to protect against the Minnesota weather and railings.

Argh, at least I'm not really surprised at surprises anymore.

And at least after this I still love the house!

No comments: