Pages

5.09.2018

Book Review: American Gods


This book is freaking awesome.

I'm not much of a science-fiction reader, it's not that I don't like it, I just find that it's hard for me to stay interested in space, aliens, computer stuff, etc... However, with me telling you what I don't like - I DO like more of the fantasy books like The Bear and The Nightengale by Katherine Arden and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

With those things being noted, American Gods weaves old school pagan gods and rituals into modern times. What happens when gods are real but not many people believe in them anymore? Do the gods fade? Do they die? Do they war with each other? What sacrifices have to be made to bring them back? How do the gods get to America in the first place?

Oh, this books brings all of these questions together. The writing is phenomenal, the imagery is amazing, and I feel like all of the places mentioned in the book can be found. Now that it's been made into a tv show, I watched the first episode and it's really good! Now that I've finished the book, I'm going to have to keep up with the show.

Overall - highly recommended! This would make an excellent summer read.

No comments: