Pages

3.30.2009

Rock Hard Bagels

I bought two tubs of fabulous cream cheese last week. But not bagels. I figured that bagels would be super easy to make. After pouring through the puny three shelves of baking books at the library I decided upon this one: How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,


Of course, I didn't even have the right tools. What did I do? I went out and bought one of these:


Black & Decker FP2500S Wide-Mouth Food Processor-500 Watts, Stainless Steel

It works well - I have the white one.

BUT...

The bagels didn't turn out. I knew from the beginning that I shouldn't have followed the recipe. I should've just used the ingredients and my baking knowledge instead of following it to a T.

I'm not even going to post a picture of the bagels until I get them perfect.

So tonight, bagels are on the menu.

I don't care how many times it takes me to get them right or how many pounds of flour. Or even if my new food processor starts smokin' I AM GOING TO MAKE BAGELS.

Here's the recipe from Chow.com (as it's not directly in front of me right now). So it looks easy enough, right?

My changes for tonight:

1. Don't roll them out, just poke a hole in the center (they came apart in the water AFTER I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS. NOT GOOD).
2. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
3. Add honey instead of sugar.
4. Make 9 - 10 bagels instead of 12 (they were too small for me).

Wish me luck.

So, what's your favorite kind of bagel? I'm taking suggestions here...

No comments: