Pages

9.15.2008

Perfect Pot Roast

There comes a day and a time when you need to have something of substance. After the leftovers from Hurricane Ike dumped on us yesterday morning, I had to make pot roast.
The main ingredients are simple. I don't even measure anymore. It's like Sunny or whatever her name is, "A little of this.. A little of that.." McCormick's seasoning, 2 bay leaves, pinch of thyme, pinch of marjoram, salt and pepper, then you're ready.
A few pounds of meat. I'm not really a red meat eater, but I do eat it when the occasion calls. Look at that marbling, man, even though I don't eat red meat, I sure know how to pick 'em...
You'll also need about 8 - 10 small red potatoes, halved.
Carrots. I use baby organic, about 15 of 'em.
Then you put approximately one tablespoon of steak seasoning on each side of the roast.
*sprinkle, sprinkle* Haha... foodnetwork, I can be my own spice fairy.
Here's the organic red potatoes. Halved. Toss these in the bottom of the crockpot first, then top with the carrots.
Sear the meat on both sides on VERY HIGH heat for about 5 minutes. Smell the goodness.
See how pretty the heat source is...
And keep browning that meat!
Smash three cloves of garlic. Toss on top of the potatoes and carrots that you've already tossed onto the bottom of the crockpot.
Flip the roast. Use tongs and a spatula, it's pretty heavy.
And the secret ingredient. Lipton onion soup mix. I know, I know... But then you don't have to chop onions.
Mix the onion soup with the spices and one cup of water. Put the roast on top of the veggies, then pour the soup mix over the roast.
Put the top on and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours. Drink a diet mountain dew. Listen to the wind howl.
And knock these fruit thingys from your tree. Bimmer Man was too busy studying to even notice (or take the Bimmer Dog out, but that's another story).
Ew. What are these things? They just kept falling because it was so incredibly windy.
Mmm... dark brown beefy roasty goodness.
It's so thick - this is going to be even better leftover!
Mm... with veggies and a salad - it's the perfect fall day meal. Woo hoo!!! Although right now I'm craving ice cream... dang...

Enjoy!

PSH

No comments: