Pages

9.14.2008

Squash with Rosemary Garlic Butter

Squash. A Minnesotan fall tradition. I can't help but bring it to Indiana. You know, I never knew if Bimmer Man liked squash, let along knew what it was. I guess he likes it, just never bothered to tell me. And here, it's one of my FAVORITE fall foods...
Super easy - all you need is squash, garlic, butter and rosemary. And just a touch of salt and pepper really.
Mmmm... the smells emitting from your kitchen will make the neighbors jealous...
You don't need this much butter, just a pat or two for each half of squash you bake.
The lovely colors... I'm just waiting for my sweaters!! I hope the moths haven't eaten them.
Oh, the seeds. You can roast the seeds too. My dad used to do it when we were little...
Scoop out the insides, then dry if you want to roast the seeds or just compost as usual.
Minnesotan Trick to squash. Cut off a little of the bottom so you don't have to worry about them rolling off your baking sheet. Works wonders.
Then chop the rosemary and drop a little in each.
Not too much... Just enough!
And then get out the garlic press. My newfound tool. Lovely.
And make sure that your hands are in shape. Practice it a little bit.
Then press one half clove of garlic into each half. Yes. One half clove. We like garlic 'round these parts.
Mmm... sticky garlic juice...
Then put a pat or two of butter in each half. I use about 2 tablespoons. I want the butter to really soak into the squash and make it nice and soft.
Mmm.. And the garlic will melt.
And the butter will melt.
Cover with tinfoil. And put into a 400 degree oven for an hour and a half. Yes. That long. Seriously, you're thinking that I'm nuts. I'm not.
I like beer. And I like squash. The mountains are not blue in this pic, so I'm hoping that someone from Coors reads this. As soon as you touch the label the blue goes away. That means that it's not cold like the mountains. Fix it. I don't want the blue to go away after it's been in the fridge for an hour. Ok, vent over.
Oh, yum. My heart soars for the fall!

Enjoy!

PSH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh squash! I was so ready to pick up some squash and get baking, but my husband is not a fan. Blah! However your squash dish looks awesome!