Pages

1.08.2009

Marinara - Giada Style

The ingredients. With marinara sauce I tend to make at least enough for a month. And so I did.
I also added Kalamata olives into a small batch for Bimmer Man. He LOVES marinara with olives. Just can't get enough...
Carrots & onions are required, though I used too many carrots. My marinara turned out orange. Oh, well.
Chop the onion.
Into very small pieces. I think they call it a fine dice?
And the correct way to finely dice your carrots.
But please don't judge.
I haven't sharpened my knife in quite awhile.
Add those to a medium-high stock pot.
Then do the same with the celery.
Keep going...
Smash the garlic.
Finely chop that too.
And add your bay leaves too.
HAHA!! My garlic. It sprouted! I accidentally kept it out in the light...
Add the diced tomatoes.
And more...
Then let simmer for one hour.
I HATE chunky marinara. Can't stand it.
So I pureed it.
See? It's a little orange. Whoops, too many carrots! If you're making a HUGE batch like I did, don't double the carrots otherwise it'll be orange!
Don't forget to take out the bay leaves.
And basil.
More basil.
Mmm... Basil...
Add that to your blended marinara. (After it's cooled so it doesn't turn brown)
And then you can happily freeze for a month.
Orange marinara. It's what's for dinner.

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 dried bay leaves

Directions
In a large pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste.

(The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pics!! Great job!