Pages

8.28.2007

Quiche!!! Lorraine!!!


I love quiche. I've never actually made it before though, I've always ended up making fritattas (sp?) in a cast iron pan and praying to God that I didn't cook it too long. Well, I did that last Fall when I had some friends sleep over. I felt bad, but I think everyone was hung over enough where they ate it anyway. Oh, well. I've always bought those individual quiches in a blue package that come frozen and all you do is put it in the oven for awhile.


I decided that it's time for me to grow a spine and try to make quiche. I found this recipe on the food network website and I tweaked it to my liking. I'll be in Minneapolis this weekend, so I'm going to try and make it tonight or tomorrow night. We'll see how busy I am!

1 (9-inch) prepared pie shell (unbaked) that you get in the baking aisle
1 cup grated Swiss
1/2 cup grated marbled jack
3 tablespoon grated Romano, plus another handful
1/2 cup chopped medium onion
1 cup broccoli florets (fresh)
1 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup half-and-half
7 or 8 cherry tomatoes if you like them, I do

Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
Sprinkle the cheese over the bottom of the pie shell, then evenly distribute the onion, broccoli, and mushroom over the cheese layer. Mix the eggs and the spices together in a bowl. Add the milk and half-and-half and mix well. Pour over contents in the pie shell.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in halves and place, cut side up, in a ring on top of the mixture. Sprinkle the extra handful of Romano over top. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 degrees F and bake an additional 45 to 55 minutes or until cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.

PSH

No comments: