Pages

9.05.2007

Cornbread


Isn't it always easier to just buy a dang mix and hope that it doesn't taste store bought???

Exactly! That's what I thought! I found this on myrecipes.com for a basic cornbread recipe. I've never exactly thought I could make cornbread, but this is so dang easy! I can't help but make it once a week!

Basic Cornbread

2 cups buttermilk self-rising white cornmeal mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk

Preparation:

Heat a well-greased 9-inch oven-proof skillet at 450° for 5 minutes.
Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. Pour batter into hot skillet.
Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

I put paprika on top or sometimes even cayenne pepper. Also, what's really good is is you put a sprinkle of sugar on top just before you bake it (I don't know why that sounds so weird, but it tastes really, really good!)

Also - this calls for you to put the batter into a hot skillet. I just shove a muffin tin into the oven while it's warming up. Then when I'm about to put the batter into the tin, I spray it with PAM. It comes out easy. Otherwise you can just pour it into a well PAM'ed cast iron skillet. The bread's a little harder to get out, but it still tastes really good!!!

PSH

No comments: