Pages

9.20.2007

Inspired to Post Camping Recipes

So this morning as I was surfing a famously wonderful message board I came across a post asking about camping recipes. As an avid camper (I love my tent, my pillows, my sleeping bag and my cast iron pans), but haven't gone this year for obvious law school reasons. I'm very tempted to do it sometime soon. We'll see. These are our usual staple camping recipes when we go.

Black Bean Soup with Bacon

2 cans of black beans
6 slices of bacon
1 small onion, roughly chopped, reserve 1 tbsp for topping if preferred
1 cup of water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp of cayenne
Salt & pepper to taste
Hot dogs - sliced if you want

Crisp the bacon first, remove and pat off the fat. Throw the onions into the pot with the bacon drippings. Heat until clear, then add the beans, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt & pepper and hot dogs. Add the water as well and heat all the way through until very warm. Serve in coffee mugs, topped with cheese & onions.

No comments: