Pages

9.06.2007

Does Going Green Get You More Organized???


I bought those energy savings lights about a week ago at Walmart. I thought, it's time for me to change all the lights in the house! Then I realized something, all of our lights are all different wattages. Oh, and the 60 watt energy saving lights aren't really all that bright, especially in your table lamps. I had to bring an extra floor lamp into my bedroom so that I would be able to read in bed at night. I was not too keen on that idea considering our bedroom is the size of a small walk-in closet and there's not much room for anything besides the bed and MAYBE one or two small dressers. I hate to say it, but going green may save your sanity to a certain extent but if you don't fully convert to going green, it's like your driving habits cancel out your green habits at home. I was watching a television show on TLC or maybe it was the Discovery Channel's program about global warming and it explained approximately how much output of carbon goes into the ozone layer that a single family can produce. Interesting.
I was really more interested in what I could do besides paring down our belongings and living like paupers. I mean, we already changed our light bulbs and the thermostat is set at 75 degrees. I'm not turning it up anymore, for pete's sake it's September in Indiana! Plus we also rent our apartment. I would love solar energy, but try and convince our Republican landlord about that one!
I know that going green can save you money. I also know that when you go green you really go frugal. It's not about your gas guzzling cars and keeping up with the Jones. It's really about how much of a difference one family can make on the environment. For instance, check out http://www.livingonadime.com/ or just google "frugal living." There's so many ways to save money, but those ways also help to save the earth. I'm always amazed at some of the crazy things that people do - but hey, whatever works, right???
Oh, and by the way, I'm still looking for articles about how to still be green while organizing. Give me some suggestions, I'm kinda at a lost for organizing our non-organic compound shoes, socks, clothes and bathroom supplies as well as our DVD's and office stuff.

No comments: