Pages

3.15.2010

Black Bean Turkey Chili


Secret ingredients. Vegetable broth and Bud Select. (Yeah, I know... I know... use a better beer, Patty, but this is really good!).

All together in the big pot. Yum! Can you see the roasted red peppers too? Honestly, if you left out the turkey and added another type of bean, this would make an excellent vegetarian chili. I'm going to have to try that next!

My can opener is sort of ghetto. It doesn't really work and I'm way too lazy to buy a new one. Know of any bloggers doing a can opener give away? I'll enter!

And here's Cora. She's so dang sweet and smart. She went to her forever home last night. I'm hoping she had a good night last night! (Oh, BTW, I finally got glasses and I can actually see again, which means that I can now tell if I have a blurry photo or not, which is good.).

Black Bean Turkey Chili

1 lb ground turkey
4 cans of black beans (I ended up only using 3, I make a lot of chili at once so I can freeze & reheat)
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
3 - 4 roasted red peppers, chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp sugar or honey (I use orange blossom honey)
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 bottle of beer
1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth, whatever you have on hand)
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder (or more)
2 tsp coriander
2 good shakes of hot sauce

1. Soften the onion in a large stockpot, when almost clear add in the turkey and brown.

2. Add in all other ingredients and simmer for about 25 - 30 minutes.

3. Serve with tortilla chips, green onions, sour cream, cheese and beer.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

How could you not fall in love with a face like that? I'm glad she's got a permanent home now. Make me want a dog!!!